Forts in Goa
Aguada fort built between 1609 – 1612, is a rocky flattened top of the headland on the northern shore of river Mandovi. The fort was constructed to defend old Goa from the invasions of Dutch and Marathas. Fort Aguada is situated in Candolim and is 13kms from Panaji. The Fort has several natural springs towards the hill side and thus got the name Aguada which means water in Portuguese. There is a four storeyed light house which was erected in 1864 and it is the oldest of its kind in Asia. From the ramparts of fort you can get a fantastic view of the golden beaches running right up to the borders of Maharashtra. In 1976 a new light house was erected near the fort, which used to house a bell recovered from the ruins of the church of St Augustine in Old Goa, this bell is now been moved to the Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in Panaji.
Reis Magos Fort
Reis Magos Fort was built in 1551 by Portuguese, to protect the narrowest point at the mouth of river Mandovi. It stands on the north bank of the Mandovi at Reis Magos and it is very much visible from Panaji city and it is 7kms from Panaji. Adjacent to the fort is Reis Magos Church. In 1703 the fort was rebuilt to strengthen the Portuguese from the rampaging Marathas. In 1739, the Marathas conquered entire Bardez taluka, but could not win the Reis Magos and Aguada Forts; both the forts were acquired by the British army from 1798 to 1813. The Reis Magos fort lost its importance when it was abandoned by British in 1813. It was used as a residence for viceroys and later converted to a fortress, but now it has been converted into a hotel.
Terekhol fort is lies on the northern most tip of Goa, about 42kms from Panaji in Pernem Taluka and can be reached by a ferry from Querim. Maharaja Khem Sawant Bhonsle, the Raja of Sawantwadi built this fort in the 17th century. The fort was conquered by the Portuguese Viceroy Dom Pedro Miguel de Almeida and was rebuilt in 1764. In the courtyard is the century old church of St. Anthony. The church is open for public only on special occasions like the festivals of St. Anthony that is usually in the month of May. This fort was first time conquered for one day Satyagrahis under the leadership of eminent freedom fighter Alfred Alfanso along with freedom fighters Tulshidas Balkrishna Hirve Popularly Known as Hirve Guruji and Sheshnath Wadekar on 15th August 1954.
Cabo de Rama (Cape Rama) fort
Cabo de Rama fort is situated on the southern tip of Goa in Canacona taluka, It is situated in around 60kms from Panaji is perched atop a laterite promontory named after Lord Rama. According to local legends it is believed that Lord Rama came here with his wife Sita during his 14 yrs exile. The fort was ceded to the Portuguese by the Raja of Sonda in 1763. The fort was rebuilt by the Portuguese and some time British troop’s occupied fort between 1797 and 1802 and again from 1803 to 1813. There is a small church of St Anthony inside the ramparts of the fort. A crumbling turret still houses a couple of rusty Old Portuguese cannons. The western side of the fortress affords great views.
Chapora fort was originally built by Adil Shah of Bijapur and the town was known as Shahpura which went to become Chapora. The present structure of fort was built by the Portuguese in 1617 to defend its territory from Marathas and Muslim invasions, it was besiege twice by Shivaji’s son, Sambaji in 1683 and Bhonsle in 1739 and occupied back by Portuguese in 1741, but slowly the Chapora fort lost its importance and was finally abandoned by the Portuguese in 1892. From Chapora fort one can enjoy the excellent views of the neighboring Morjim and Mandrem beaches to the north and Vagator and Anjuna to the south.